HomeNewsAfrica NewsPuntland Forces Seize Military Camp After Clash With Federal Troops in Somalia

Puntland Forces Seize Military Camp After Clash With Federal Troops in Somalia

Armed forces from Somalia’s semi-autonomous Puntland region have taken control of a military camp in Galkayo following clashes with troops aligned to the federal government, marking the latest escalation in tensions between Puntland authorities and Mogadishu.

Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni announced the operation during a press briefing in Garowe on Wednesday, describing it as a planned security mission aimed at protecting the region from actions he said threatened its stability.

According to Deni, the operation targeted a camp where the federal government had allegedly been deploying troops, weapons and military equipment. He accused the federal authorities of attempting to undermine Puntland’s security, adding that his administration had repeatedly expressed concerns over decisions made by the Somali government.

He maintained that the recent developments were disrupting Somalia’s fragile peace and jeopardising the relative stability Puntland has enjoyed for years. The operation began early Wednesday when heavily armed Puntland forces, supported by military vehicles, launched an assault on a military camp located near the airport in northern Galkayo.

The camp was occupied by forces whose commanders had recently switched allegiance from Puntland to the federal government. Following the operation, Puntland police announced that local forces had successfully completed the mission, resulting in the arrest of more than 100 people.

Authorities also said security personnel recovered a large cache of weapons, military vehicles and equipment, including firearms, ammunition, police uniforms, handcuffs, boots and other operational supplies. Residents of Galkayo reported hearing intense exchanges of gunfire and several mortar explosions during the fighting, which lasted for more than an hour.

Some shells reportedly landed in residential areas, although the number of casualties has not yet been confirmed. According to local residents, Puntland forces eventually overran the camp, forcing the federal-aligned troops to retreat to the southern part of Galkayo after being overwhelmed. As of the time of reporting, neither Somalia’s federal government nor the commanders of the opposing forces had issued an official response to Puntland’s claims.

The latest confrontation adds to a series of recent disputes between Somalia’s federal government and regional administrations. Earlier this year, federal forces reportedly removed the leader of South West State, while similar fighting occurred last year between the national army and Jubaland forces.

The recurring tensions are largely linked to constitutional reforms introduced by President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud ahead of planned national elections. Several opposition groups and regional leaders, including Puntland President Deni, have criticised the reforms, arguing that they concentrate excessive power in the federal government and threaten Somalia’s federal system of governance.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img