HomeNewsDiaspora NewsTrump Threatens to Bomb US Ally Oman Over Iran Deal

Trump Threatens to Bomb US Ally Oman Over Iran Deal

US President Donald Trump has reportedly threatened military action against Oman, a longtime US ally, if the Gulf nation interferes with Washington’s efforts to reach an agreement with Iran over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

According to Fox News, Trump made the threat during a phone interview, warning that the United States could attack Oman if it “gets in the way” of his administration’s negotiations with Tehran.

The threat comes as Oman conducts separate negotiations with Iran aimed at restoring shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically important waterway through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies normally pass.

The Strait has remained largely closed for nearly six months amid the ongoing conflict between the United States, Israel and Iran.

Oman, which borders the southern side of the waterway, has maintained that it is a neutral party in the conflict. Despite suffering several attacks from Iran, the country has continued to play a key mediation role between Tehran and Washington.

Iran, Oman Near Understanding

Iranian officials said earlier that Tehran and Oman had reached an understanding on a proposed transit route for ships passing through the Strait.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two sides had agreed on the framework for the route and would work on the remaining details before issuing a joint statement.

Oman has previously described the negotiations as positive.

However, the development appears to have created tension with Washington, which is pursuing its own efforts to secure the reopening of the strategic waterway.

Trump reportedly told Fox News reporter Trey Yingst: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them.”

It remains unclear what actions by Oman Trump would consider an obstruction of US efforts.

Trump Says US Has IRGC Backchannel

During the same interview, Trump also claimed that Washington maintains a direct backchannel with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a powerful military and political institution in the country.

The IRGC rejected the claim.

A spokesman, quoted by the semi-official Tasnim News Agency, denied that any talks were taking place between IRGC officials and the United States.

Trump also indicated that he was not under pressure to bring the conflict to an immediate end, saying he had “no time schedule” and was “not in a hurry.”

Strait of Hormuz Remains Key Issue

The reopening of the Strait of Hormuz has become one of the major issues in negotiations between Washington and Tehran.

The waterway is a critical global energy route, and prolonged disruption has raised concerns over oil and gas supplies and international shipping.

A 60-day Memorandum of Understanding between the United States and Iran, signed on June 18, was intended to support a ceasefire and facilitate at least a partial reopening of the Strait. However, the arrangement later broke down as fighting resumed.

Earlier in July, Trump declared that the ceasefire was over following renewed exchanges of attacks.

As the agreement approached its expiry, Trump reiterated that preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon remained the United States’ primary objective.

Meanwhile, Iran has reportedly sought compensation before agreeing to a full reopening of the Strait, with Reuters previously reporting that Tehran was seeking fees of between five and seven per cent of the value of cargoes transported through the waterway.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img