HomeNewsAfrica NewsAt Least 100 Killed in Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse

At Least 100 Killed in Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse

More than 100 people have died in a Central African Republic gold mine collapse near the border with Cameroon, according to local officials, mining representatives and a Red Cross volunteer involved in the rescue operation.

The collapse occurred on Tuesday in the village of Zamboye, about 50km from Baboua in western Central African Republic and only a few kilometres from Garoua-Boulai in eastern Cameroon.

Miners Trapped After Underground Tunnels Collapse

Gervais Ganagoroh, a Red Cross volunteer involved in the relief operation, said more than 100 bodies had been recovered from the collapsed mine.

A senior official from a local mining association also confirmed that more than 100 people had died. However, authorities warned that the death toll could increase because several miners remain missing or trapped beneath the rubble.

Local official Bertrand Be Yangue described the situation as devastating and said finding survivors would be a miracle.

A miner at the site, Cedric Mbango, said the ground suddenly collapsed and buried workers underground. He added that rescue teams were still searching for people trapped beneath the debris.

Investigation Opened Into Mine Disaster

Authorities believe the Central African Republic gold mine collapse was caused by the failure of several underground tunnels where miners were working.

The Baboua public prosecutor has opened a judicial investigation into the disaster. Officials are expected to examine the condition of the mine and determine what caused the tunnels to collapse.

Government spokesman Evariste Ngamana expressed sympathy to the victims’ families and said authorities were working to provide assistance to those affected.

Officials in Cameroon also said they were cooperating with their Central African counterparts in response to the tragedy.

Artisanal Mining Remains Dangerous

Artisanal gold mining is common in the Central African Republic, where thousands of people depend on small-scale mining for their livelihoods.

However, many of these operations have limited safety measures and operate outside effective government control. Miners often work underground without adequate protective equipment, increasing the risk of deadly accidents.

The latest Central African Republic gold mine collapse follows several other fatal mining incidents in the country. A mine collapse at Be-Mbari in June reportedly killed dozens of people, while seven people died in a landslide at Ngourroum in March. Another 20 people reportedly died in a mining accident in Gordi in February.

The repeated disasters have renewed concerns about safety standards in the country’s artisanal mining sector and the need for stronger oversight and emergency response systems.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img