HomeSecurityInsecurity: How Families Sell Houses to Pay Ransom in Nigeria

Insecurity: How Families Sell Houses to Pay Ransom in Nigeria

Families of some of the 52 residents kidnapped in Borno State have reportedly resorted to selling their houses in anticipation of ransom demands from their abductors.

The victims were kidnapped by gunmen from different parts of the state on April 15.

The spokesperson for the victims’ families, Hassan Yati, said that one family whose two sons were abducted had already lost N1.5m to suspected fraudsters who demanded N3m, claiming to be acting on behalf of the kidnappers.

Yati said the family later discovered that the actual terrorists had neither demanded the money nor authorised anyone to collect ransom on their behalf.

He said the development had further worsened the financial hardship faced by families already struggling to provide for their children.

Yati also disclosed that a woman whose only daughter was among those kidnapped had sold her family house in Biu Local Government Area in preparation for a possible ransom demand.

“Initially, we thought it was money the kidnappers wanted. One of the parents with only daughter kidnapped told me she sold her family house in Biu in anticipation, only to hear otherwise.

“Even me, I put our family house up for sale, but no one is talking to us again,” he said.

Yati explained that he decided to put his family house up for sale because his younger brother and his wife were among those abducted on April 15.

According to him, he has also been under pressure from other relatives of the victims, who accuse him of withholding information about efforts to secure the release of their loved ones.

“The rest of the parents bombard me with calls and messages. They now accuse me of hiding information,” he said.

Yati lamented that repeated efforts to draw the attention of the government to the plight of the families had yet to yield results, leaving them facing prolonged uncertainty over the fate of their loved ones.

Another parent, Monday Bako, said she had sold her house after her daughter was kidnapped on January 13.

Bako, a food vendor, said she had no information about the whereabouts of her daughter or the identity of those holding her captive.

“They kidnapped my daughter since 13th of January till today. I have no idea of where they are and who held her captive. We have not heard anything about her and others abducted in our community.

“I later sold my house to raise money in case we hear any information. We thought they would demand ransom but unfortunately, nothing has been demanded,” she said.

Meanwhile, another relative, whose wife and three-month-old baby are among those held by the terrorists, appealed to the government to urgently intervene and secure their release.

“We are tired of waiting. We are dying in silence. Our appeal to the government is for them to come to our aid,” the relative said. (Additional report from Punch)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img