A Nigerian-Australian man accused of being involved in an alleged $5 million fraud against Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme has been denied bail after prosecutors raised concerns that he could leave the country.
Foluso Semiu Omole, 38, appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court after Australian Federal Police arrested him at Adelaide Airport on Friday as he was preparing to travel overseas.
The court heard Omole, a dual Australian and Nigerian citizen, had bought a one way ticket to Nigeria. Prosecutors argued that the travel arrangements, together with his alleged financial links to Nigeria, raised concerns about whether he would return to Australia to face the charges.
The prosecution also alleged that Omole had transferred significant amounts of money to Nigeria where his wife lives.
Omole is accused of playing a central role in a scheme that allegedly targeted the NDIS, a government funded programme that provides support to Australians living with permanent and significant disabilities.
According to allegations presented in court, Omole was working as an NDIS coordinator and operated two businesses employing several people. Investigators allege he obtained confidential information about NDIS participants through a woman employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency.
Authorities allege the woman accessed more than 40 protected participant records without authorisation and passed information to Omole. Investigators say the information was then used to support fraudulent claims worth more than $5 million.
The woman was arrested and charged earlier in the investigation. Australian authorities said the case emerged after the NDIA detected unauthorised access to protected participant records in March, triggering an investigation by the Fraud Fusion Taskforce.
The taskforce brings together agencies including the Australian Federal Police, the NDIA, the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission and the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. Officials say the crackdown is aimed at protecting participants and public money.
In court, Omole’s lawyer, Mark Twiggs, rejected the allegations and argued that his client should be released on bail. He told the court Omole had no criminal record and said the planned journey was not evidence that he intended to flee.
Twiggs said his client had told him he was planning to travel on a return ticket to London, which had been purchased before authorities conducted searches linked to the investigation.
Magistrate Patrick Hill nevertheless refused bail, saying the travel arrangements were relevant to the court’s assessment of Omole’s risk of leaving Australia.
Omole faces charges relating to allegedly dealing with proceeds of crime valued at more than $1 million. He has not entered pleas to the allegations.
He is expected to return to court in September as the investigation and court proceedings continue. The allegations have not been proven and Omole remains entitled to the presumption of innocence.


