HomeNewsAfrica NewsViolence Erupts in Western Kenya Ahead of Opposition Rally

Violence Erupts in Western Kenya Ahead of Opposition Rally

Violence erupted in western Kenya on Sunday ahead of an opposition political rally, with suspected hired youths attacking residents and disrupting movement in the town of Homa Bay.

The unrest comes less than a year before Kenya’s next national elections, with President William Ruto expected to seek a second term.

The opposition Linda Mwananchi movement had planned a rally in Homa Bay featuring potential presidential aspirant Edwin Sifuna. Organisers had earlier warned that armed youths could be mobilised to disrupt the event.

An AFP journalist at the scene reported chaotic conditions in central Homa Bay, where groups of men, some armed with sticks and machetes, allegedly attacked passersby and stole valuables.

Several streets were blocked with makeshift barricades, while tyres were set ablaze on major roads. The journalist reported little or no police presence in the town centre, although officers were seen on the outskirts stopping people attempting to enter.

Tension remained high into Sunday afternoon, with images and videos circulating on social media showing burning tyres and debris blocking roads in parts of the town. AFP said it could not independently verify the footage.

Linda Mwananchi leaders had previously alleged that groups of thugs were being mobilised to disrupt the rally.

However, Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga dismissed the allegations and said political groups would be allowed to participate peacefully.

“We may hold different political positions, but those differences must be settled through ideas and the ballot, not confrontation or violence,” Wanga said in a statement to local media.

Siaya Governor James Orengo, whose county borders Homa Bay, alleged that thugs had attacked convoys travelling to the rally.

“This is not the Kenya we want,” Orengo said, accusing the police of losing control of the situation.

Kenyan police spokesperson Michael Muchiri later sought to reassure residents, saying security agencies were taking steps to maintain peace.

Muchiri said 15 people had been arrested on Saturday, adding that preliminary investigations indicated they were hired criminals allegedly planning to disrupt political activities in the area.

Police also warned politicians and rally organisers against incitement, provocation and other actions capable of triggering unrest.

Muchiri said the police would remain “strictly non-partisan” while carrying out their constitutional responsibility to maintain law and order.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img