Nigeria’s trade and business relationship with China generated $18 billion in trade volume in the first half of 2026, up significantly from the $28 billion recorded throughout 2025, Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, has said.
Tegbe disclosed this while receiving the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Yu Dunhai, during a courtesy visit and reception following the signing of the Nigeria-China Aquatic Products Protocol.
The minister, a former Director-General of the Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), said the agreement represented an important opportunity for Nigeria to expand exports, increase foreign exchange earnings and create new opportunities for businesses.
According to a statement issued on Friday, the Protocol, which followed nearly five years of negotiations, grants eligible Nigerian aquatic products zero-tariff access to China’s market of about 1.4 billion consumers.
Tegbe urged the swift implementation of the agreement, stressing that Nigerian exporters must move quickly to take advantage of the new market access.
He said the success of the Protocol could also help accelerate other initiatives, including the proposed Zero Tariff Agreement for African countries, potentially creating broader opportunities for African exporters seeking access to the Chinese market.
The minister also thanked Ambassador Yu for his continued support for the Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership and efforts to deepen trade and business relations between both countries.
Ambassador Yu reaffirmed the Chinese Embassy’s commitment to supporting the implementation of the Protocol and facilitating qualified Nigerian exports into China.
He described Tegbe’s appointment as a testament to his leadership, vision and pragmatism, while citing a 35 per cent increase in bilateral trade and an 80 per cent rise in Nigerian exports to China in the first half of 2026 as evidence of the untapped potential for greater economic cooperation.
The ambassador also assured the minister of the Chinese government’s support for Nigeria’s efforts to modernise and expand its power system.
The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service (NAQS), Dr Vincent Isegbe, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to providing compliance support to exporters.
Isegbe also identified opportunities for similar market-access agreements covering other agricultural and fishery products. He noted that the growing global demand for aquatic products could potentially double Nigeria’s exports to China if properly harnessed.
The private sector, represented by Atlantic Shrimpers, also expressed readiness to commence exports under the new arrangement. The company, which has engaged with the Chinese market since 2018, said it had already identified potential buyers.
The signing of the Protocol is expected to have implications beyond Nigeria, particularly if it contributes to the expansion of African access to the Chinese market.
With China remaining one of Africa’s largest trading partners, increased market access for Nigerian agricultural and aquatic products could provide a model for other African countries seeking to diversify exports, strengthen foreign exchange earnings and reduce dependence on raw commodity exports.
Stakeholders at the meeting therefore agreed to prioritise the implementation of the Protocol and ensure measurable outcomes, with the Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership expected to continue driving deeper economic cooperation, increased exports and sustainable opportunities for Nigerian and, potentially, other African businesses.


