HomeNewsDiaspora NewsRescuers Race to Find Survivors as Colombia Earthquake Death Toll Passes 180

Rescuers Race to Find Survivors as Colombia Earthquake Death Toll Passes 180

Rescue teams in Colombia are racing to find survivors trapped beneath collapsed buildings after a powerful magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck the country on Monday.

The official death toll has reached 181, with the hardest-hit cities including Cali and Pereira. However, figures compiled from local authorities suggest the number of deaths could be more than 240.

President Abelardo de la Espriella declared a state of emergency and said nearly 2,600 people had been injured, while almost 200 remained missing. More than 1,100 homes were destroyed and over 8,000 others damaged.

The earthquake struck at 07:34 local time on Monday and was felt across hundreds of miles of western Colombia. More than 70 aftershocks have since been recorded, adding to fears of further structural collapses.

Cali Among Worst-Hit Areas

Cali has recorded 95 deaths, according to local authorities. A coordinated command centre has been established to manage rescue operations across the city.

Cali Mayor Alejandro Eder said 239 people remained trapped, while 949 had been injured. At least 45 buildings had either completely or partially collapsed.

A hospital was also badly affected, with several upper floors collapsing and patients becoming trapped. At a school in the Calima neighbourhood, four children were killed when part of the building collapsed, while other children suffered serious injuries.

Authorities introduced a nighttime curfew in the area to help prevent looting and maintain security during the rescue operation.

Pereira and Manizales Also Hit

In Pereira, 79 deaths have been reported by the city’s fire department. Authorities declared a car-free day to allow emergency teams and volunteers to move more easily through the city as rescue operations continued.

In Manizales, five people were reported dead and around 60 buildings had partially or completely collapsed.

Officials have warned residents to remain cautious because of continuing aftershocks and have urged people not to spread unverified information online.

International Assistance

International support has begun arriving as Colombia responds to the disaster.

The United Nations expressed solidarity with the Colombian people and said it was supporting the government’s response. Spain said 164 Spanish nationals remained unaccounted for, although there were no reports of Spanish citizens being injured or killed at the time of the report.

The United States announced $15.5 million in assistance for Colombia, while Ecuador, Brazil, El Salvador and Venezuela have also offered help.

With hundreds still missing and people potentially trapped beneath collapsed structures, emergency teams and volunteers are continuing the search for survivors while authorities assess the full scale of the destruction.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img