US President Donald Trump has confirmed that he secretly switched aircraft after the NATO summit in Turkey last month following a possible security threat.
Trump said he followed instructions from the US Secret Service and military officials, who advised him to use a different aircraft for his journey.
“I go by Secret Service and the military. They wanted me to go in a different flight, different plane,” Trump told reporters.
Trump Secretly Left Air Force One
The confirmation follows reports that Trump initially boarded Air Force One in Ankara on July 8 before being secretly moved to a smaller military aircraft.
According to reports, Trump was taken from the presidential plane using a catering truck that had been raised to the aircraft’s level. He was then transported to a C-32A military aircraft, a modified Boeing 757 commonly used by the vice-president.
The operation was reportedly designed to prevent potential attackers from knowing which aircraft the president was travelling on.
Trump said the replacement aircraft may actually have been at greater risk because it could have been easier for a potential attacker to identify as his aircraft.
“I guess there was a threat out there,” Trump said during a visit to Ohio. “I didn’t really ask too much about it. I get a lot of threats.”
Possible Iranian Missile Threat
US officials told CBS News that intelligence agencies had detected a credible Iranian threat involving a possible missile attack against the president’s aircraft.
The New York Times also reported that US intelligence had information about an individual near the NATO summit who had allegedly been seen carrying a shoulder-fired missile.
Trump has previously described himself as Iran’s “number one target” amid the ongoing conflict between Washington and Tehran.
The reported security operation came shortly after the United States resumed military strikes against Iran following the collapse of negotiations between the two countries.
Journalists Unaware of President’s Absence
The plane swap was reportedly carried out without informing journalists and some White House staff travelling aboard the original Air Force One.
Members of the press were instructed to keep the aircraft’s window shades closed during the flight.
A photographer reportedly opened one of the shades briefly but was quickly instructed to close it.
According to the White House Correspondents’ Association, media personnel also noticed catering trucks positioned around the aircraft before departure.
Trump’s cabinet members reportedly remained aboard the original aircraft, including Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, according to the New York Times.
Aircraft Used Different Call Signs
Although “Air Force One” is technically the call sign given to any aircraft carrying the US president, the replacement C-32A used the call sign “Reach 18” during the operation.
The aircraft carrying the journalists continued using the “AF1” call sign, helping maintain the appearance that Trump was still aboard the presidential plane.
Trump later travelled to the United Kingdom, where he reboarded the older Air Force One before eventually transferring to the newer Boeing 747-8 aircraft donated by Qatar.
Concerns Over Journalist Safety
The secret operation has also raised questions about the safety of journalists who remained aboard the original aircraft without knowing about the potential threat.
Jose Zamora, regional director for the Americas at the Committee to Protect Journalists, said the administration has a responsibility to protect journalists covering the president.
He argued that reporters should be informed about credible security threats when necessary so they can make informed decisions about their own safety.
The White House has not disclosed further details about the reported threat or identified the person allegedly linked to the potential attack.


