A New Delhi court has acquitted the former chief of India’s wrestling federation in a sexual harassment and stalking case brought by prominent female wrestlers. Brij Bhushan acquitted, the court ruled on Monday, three years after the allegations sparked months of protests demanding criminal action against Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh.
The court had charged Singh, the 69-year-old former politician from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), in 2024. He completed his term that year and was not re-nominated, though his son later ran for and won the same constituency.
What the Case Alleged
Five women accused Singh of groping and demanding sexual favours, allegations he denied throughout the proceedings. “I had complete faith that justice would be done … justice was done,” Singh told reporters outside the Rouse Avenue Court following Monday’s verdict. “I never considered myself a criminal at all.”
Singh’s lawyer, Rajiv Mohan, said his client had been honourably acquitted, telling reporters the court reached its verdict after finding inconsistencies in witness statements and a contradiction on major issues. Singh’s supporters set off firecrackers and showered him with flower petals while chanting slogans after the ruling was announced.
Controversy and Protests That Followed the Allegations
The case triggered weeks of demonstrations in 2023, led by top female wrestlers including world championship winner Vinesh Phogat and Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik, who demanded Singh’s removal as head of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI). The athletes were among hundreds who took part in a sit-in demonstration in New Delhi that year demanding action against Singh, drawing widespread public attention.
Wrestling is hugely popular in rural northern India, and images of Phogat and other athletes being detained as they tried to march to parliament during the protests went viral on social media. In December 2023, Olympic wrestler Bajrang Punia returned one of India’s highest civilian awards in protest at Singh’s WFI appointment, while Malik retired from the sport, also in protest.
Wrestlers Vow to Appeal
The female wrestlers who led the case against Singh have instructed their lawyer to appeal the verdict. Phogat said on X that the appeal process would begin as soon as possible. “We have not lost hope, and the wrestlers will continue their fight,” she said.


